Skip to main content

RSA Conference Europe 2005 - 1st Day


Today, I'm following up on the first day of the RSA Conference Europe 2005 in Vienna. After a good night sleep I arrived at about 9.30h at the Austria Center in Vienna (on the Donauinsel near UNO-City). The long line of attendees registering was a bit discouraging, but after 45 Minutes I got bag and badge. I then attended the "special session created especially for first-time RSA Conference attendees" - and I felt really special. The information given was quite useful, however. The best thing was the introduction with my neighbor on the next seat.

What I find confusing is the different tracks and tutorials that were held the first day: There is are "Professional Development" Class Tracks as well as a Developer and Enterprise Tutorials being held. I know, that the Tutorials cost extra money (€ 295) - but it was not clear if the Class Tracks are charged in addition.

Finally at 4.30h the Keynote sessions started with David Taylor as Moderator. He did a good job of introducing the crowd to the historical theme of this years conference. However, the codes of prohibition (with Elizabeth Friedman decrypting intercepted messages between rum-runners and smugglers) has one significant downside:Cryptanalysiss was used to support a law which should not have been implemented in the first place.

Then Dame Stella Rimington gave an insightful speech about the challenges, successes and failures of UK Security Service (MI5) which she headed as a director 1992-1996. She made a point when she said that terrorism cannot be defeated and that the "war on terrorism" is thus misleading.

Arthur Coviello, CEO of RSA Security Inc. then made a rather weak call for a joint effort of the industry to provide the long needed security services to the customer. His speech was full of commonplace wisdom about interoperability and industry partnership. I was very disappointed by this uninspired call for participation.

At the end of the night, the European Information Security Awards 2005 have been handed out by people I didn't know or have ever heard of to other people I didn't know and haven't heard of. However, the achievements which were rewarded with the awards were not described, so it's hard for me to say anything about that.

I then met a colleague and after some snacks at the conference we had Sushi in downtown Vienna. It was excellent as usual.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony is evil

I just so agree with Todd: Bad Company of the Year Award! : The company that I am putting at the top of my list is a 4 letter word so foul, that it has been banned from my home. I have asked my wife who is Japanese to refrain from buying any of their products for the next 5 years. The Bad company of the year is no other than SONY… Sony is just a big no-buy company. My girlfriend knows why Sony is evil and we both will rather buy a more expensive or less appealing product from a competitor. " Sony is evil " has only 726 hits on Google, but this will increase. Edit: More about the damage Sony does: Artists revolt against DRM Portable stereo's creator got his due, eventually

Why did Microsoft cripple Groove?

I'm currently trying to use Microsoft Groove 2007 as a collaboration tool to gather requirements. What I like about tools like Groove is: - You can open and edit an entry without having to start an additional application (like word, excel) - You can copy and paste pictures (screenshots) directly into an entry - You don't have to save and re-attach changed files - You can work offline - Groove works inside and outside of our network out-of-the-box - We have (as a Microsoft Gold Partner) 100 licenses available What I don't understand about the current offering is that a lot of tools available in the last version have been removed: The following tools and toolsets are no longer available for adding to new or existing workspaces : Contact Manager, Discussion, Document Review, Outliner , Task Manager, Text, Tic- Tac -Toe, Web Links, Welcome Page, Advanced Project Toolset , and Mobile Workspace for SharePoint . (Source: Microsoft Office Groove Help) There is also a large set

Wise reuse of old compact discs

To prevent wild game from crossing the street when cars are approaching, CDs are hung at the streetside. Maybe this is a wise reuse of old AOL-CDs? Apparently, this actually reduces the number of accidents due to game crossing the street in front of cars. Seen here: map.search.ch map.google.com