Skip to main content

Why does Microsoft make it so hard?

Yesterday, I spent a few hours reinstalling Windows XP Home Edition [1] on my fathers computer. Thanks to MSDN, I was able to download a slipstreamed XP Home with SP2 in it (otherwise I would just slipstream it myself) and I also burned a CD with all essential tools and programs (AV, etc). But what I'm missing is a way to download and burn the security patches Microsoft published since SP2. Microsoft is relying on people like myself providing tech support for friends and family - and I don't understand why they can't make it easier for all of us to provide that support (which, by the way I regard as some sort of internet-community service - one virus and malware ridden computer less on the internet sending you spam and viruses).

What I'm looking for is a website where I can specify what type of system I want to install (in my case Windows XP Home Edition German SP2) and download all the patches available for that system. If a simple script would be provided to install these patches it would just be great.

What I had to do yesterday, was establish an Internet connection first [2] (with a not-fully patched system nota bene) and go to Windows update to download 38 security updates (!) on top of Windows XP SP2 - over a slow internet connection. I can't even imagine how Microsoft could make it harder for me.

Now with security patches coming monthly, I'd expect Microsoft to provide monthly roll-up hotfixes - especially since SP3 seems to be far far away.

Don't tell me that I could have downloaded the patches one by one beforehand - this is just not feasible.

Robert Scoble: Is there anything you can do about it?

[1] No, Linux is not an option, since my father is used to Windows, and I did not want to spend hours to search for all the drivers for the gazillion gadgets he has attached to that PC.
[2] The irony here is, that to install Bluewin ADSL support, it is required by Bluewin to disable the firewall software.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony is evil

I just so agree with Todd: Bad Company of the Year Award! : The company that I am putting at the top of my list is a 4 letter word so foul, that it has been banned from my home. I have asked my wife who is Japanese to refrain from buying any of their products for the next 5 years. The Bad company of the year is no other than SONY… Sony is just a big no-buy company. My girlfriend knows why Sony is evil and we both will rather buy a more expensive or less appealing product from a competitor. " Sony is evil " has only 726 hits on Google, but this will increase. Edit: More about the damage Sony does: Artists revolt against DRM Portable stereo's creator got his due, eventually

Why did Microsoft cripple Groove?

I'm currently trying to use Microsoft Groove 2007 as a collaboration tool to gather requirements. What I like about tools like Groove is: - You can open and edit an entry without having to start an additional application (like word, excel) - You can copy and paste pictures (screenshots) directly into an entry - You don't have to save and re-attach changed files - You can work offline - Groove works inside and outside of our network out-of-the-box - We have (as a Microsoft Gold Partner) 100 licenses available What I don't understand about the current offering is that a lot of tools available in the last version have been removed: The following tools and toolsets are no longer available for adding to new or existing workspaces : Contact Manager, Discussion, Document Review, Outliner , Task Manager, Text, Tic- Tac -Toe, Web Links, Welcome Page, Advanced Project Toolset , and Mobile Workspace for SharePoint . (Source: Microsoft Office Groove Help) There is also a large set

Two factor authentication outdated?

According to the article below from The Register (quoting Bruce Schneier), two-factor authentication seems already be outdated. I believe, we should take a careful approach here: Two-factor authentication is certainly better than just user-id and password. Especially online banking in the US has been using just user-id/password and now they are paying the prize for this lax security measure. Stepping up to use onetime passwords (such as RSA SecurID or Aladin tokens) is a first step against sniffing out passwords. However, there is no such thing as complete security. But two-factor authentication is a first step. As every Information Security Officer nows, user awareness is key to increase security. By giving user a device, this awareness increases dramatically. Link to original article. New threats need new response Banks are spending millions on two-factor authentication for their customers but the approach no longer provides adequate protection against fraud or identity theft, accord